Name: Angela Van Boxtel
Occupation: Environmental Artist & Designer
Location in Picture: Whale Beach, Sydney, Australia
1. What was the first pair of flip flops you ever owned?
Heavenly blue with a daisy on top, very girly sweet. I fell in love with summer forever.
2. Are you a fair weather or all seasons flip flop wearer?
All seasons… since living in Australia I’ve adapted to the style of ‘scarf and beany in winter with jeans and thongs’. Which seemed before crazy to me.
3. The tide is coming in and about to claim your flip flops or your lunch… which do you save?
Run for my flip flops and scoop my lunch on top of them.
4. Favorite beach?
Manly Beach – where I live and life is paradise.
5. Favorite beach/island if money was no object?
Manly Beach – as I’m not guided by money and live my life as money was no object.
6. Best thing you’ve ever seen whilst stood in your flip flops?
Someone else wearing stockings in their flip flops… looked funny and not comfy… but she seemed very happy with it.
7. So why the love of flip flops? What’s it date back to?
At the beach you can observe the tide of life, there are lows and highs… that’s just a fact, embrace it.
8. Sum up your personal philosophy on life?
Be the best you can be – BE YOU!
9. Any final word or thought you want to share with our readers?
Flip Flops are actually constructed from polyurethane, which is yet another plastic derived from crude oil. This means they are going to be hanging around the environment for a very, very long time once discarded. So think twice how you discard them and how many pairs you really need.
And with that Angela is off to share more positive energy with the people of Manly. We recently posted about the ‘heART Wall’ she created www.flipflopscity.com/blog/flip-flops-wall-of-love/. Go check it out, be inspired and create one in your town. If you do we’d love to hear from you. Thanks again Angela for letting us into your flip flop corner of the World!
Writer: Josh Aggars www.facebook.com/josh.aggars
If you have great stories about your adventures in flip flops and life at the beach and would like to appear in the ‘We Love Flip Flops because’ features please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.